June 24, 2011

Good Job Passing the Test

Too much suffering? The unfairness of it all? Found something good only to see it fade away?


Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked shall I return.
The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away;
blessed be the name of the LORD.
- Job 1:21

Shall we receive good from God,
and shall we not receive evil?
- Job 2:10b

The commentary of my ESV Bible says that the book of Job contains:
- God's loving sovereignty
- the supremacy of divine wisdom over human wisdom
- Believing that God is good despite the apparent evidence to the contrary, Job rested in faith alone.
- I know that my Redeemer lives (Job 19:25).


Centuries after Job prevailed over his test of faith, the apostle James explains:

Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.
Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

- James 1:12-17

No comments:

Post a Comment