August 17, 2007

an honest answer from a Christian to an honest question from an atheist

Someone called Lord Jim started a discussion with the title, "An honest question from an atheist to the christians on this forum?"

Dear all,

Please, first of all, let me assure you that I am not trying to stir up bad blood with this question. If I do I apologize.

Now to the question. A few days ago I was contemplating the huge settlement that came out of the LA pedophilia settlement. This combined with similar scandals in Boston and other locations made me wonder what effect this has on church going in General and the willingness to send your kids to church alone particular. Those of you who goes to Church regularly and those of you who have children in a vulnerable age how do you see this and has it had any effect on you?

All the best

- Lj

What follows is my supposed reply; i do hope he bumps into this...


Hi everyone :)


Lord Jim: Thank you for starting out this discussion with utmost respect. :) I'll be answering the first question posted here; the thread eventually headed off elsewhere...


I don't have kids but scandals like those you mentioned have long rocked churches (Catholic and otherwise) for centuries. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is outraged to see heinous sins like this committed by supposedly holy/good/moral people; and consequently turned his/her back on God because of His imperfect followers.


But that was then. After years of being an agnostic-humanist who had all the best intentions of always doing the right thing, I have realized that (1) God does exist, (2) I am utterly imperfect and flawed, and (3) only by putting my complete trust in Him can I (3.1) be saved from eternal punishment, and (3.2) do right.


It is truly tragic to hear of these reports, because these acts are intrinsically wrong, and because I know God's standard of complete holiness (again, we cannot do it on our own, but God helps us make it through each day). Also, I can imagine that it is easier for atheists/skeptics/unbelievers to make this another reason to *not* believe whether they realize it or not (I do not wish to predict or typecast, but I have been there and I know many other people who are, so I think that what I "imagine" is reasonable).


But my faith is not shaken. Why?
(1) Because this even shows more convincingly *everyone*'s need for Jesus as our Savior and the need for God's grace to empower us to do what's right and good; because people, *deliberately or not*, do not stop sinning when they become popes and pastors ("For ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." - Romans 3:23)


(2) To balance off what might seem as whitewashing in reason (1): Because what is wrong (sin or crime or whatever it is called) does not stop being wrong when God's higher officials here on earth commit them; they are reasonably given more responsibility, *not* more privileges.


(3) To echo (2), Because what is right, good, true and perfect (yup, God) does not stop being who He is when His higher officials here on earth fail. I'll quote a very contemporary translation of Romans 3:2-8:
"So, what if, in the course of doing that, some of those Jews abandoned their post? God didn't abandon them. Do you think their faithlessness cancels out his faithfulness? Not on your life! Depend on it: God keeps his word even when the whole world is lying through its teeth. Scripture says the same: 'Your words stand fast and true; Rejection doesn't faze you.' But if our wrongdoing only underlines and confirms God's rightdoing, shouldn't we be commended for helping out? Since our bad words don't even make a dent in his good words, isn't it wrong of God to back us to the wall and hold us to our word? These questions come up. The answer to such questions is no, a most emphatic No! How else would things ever get straightened out if God didn't do the straightening? It's simply perverse to say, "If my lies serve to show off God's truth all the more gloriously, why blame me? I'm doing God a favor." Some people are actually trying to put such words in our mouths, claiming that we go around saying, "The more evil we do, the more good God does, so let's just do it!" That's pure slander, as I'm sure you'll agree."


As for celibacy in the priesthood, it was NEVER practised nor imposed in the Bible. Old Testament (Jewish) priests and Levites had families; New Testament (Christian) church leaders were advised among other things to be the husband of but one wife and see that his children obey him with proper respect (1 Timothy 3:2,4). I am not a Catholic but I sympathise with my God-fearing brothers and sisters who are in a dilemma over following God's Word and centuries-old tradition; as a Bible-believing Christian, it is quite easier for me to make a choice.


Again, thank you for this opportunity for respectful discussion. :) God bless! :)




tecigurl@gmail.com
http://tecigurl.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment