August 20, 2007

why doesn't God act?

Below is my reply to a QatarLiving forum about why God allows violence and injustice in this world...

==========================

Hi Knoxcollege :)

Your question on God's inaction is very relevant; but i will start with a counterexample. Interestingly, i have heard of many complaints from other seekers/unbelievers about the violence in the Bible, particularly in the Old Testament (OT), particularly inflicted by God Himself. It was only when i got to read it for myself that i realized that the plagues, wars, famine and other punishments in the OT were brought on by God (1) on the non-Jews who lived heinously immoral lifestyles, but also (2) on the Jews who knew of God's commands yet knowingly broke their agreement ("testament") to follow Him as God, time and time again.

However, God often gave out warnings through His prophets and His angels. For example, God called Jonah to warn the foreign city of Nineveh; Nineveh repented and God held back from destroying them. At other times people like Moses and Abraham pleaded with God to spare their kinsmen from getting their (just) punishment.

God is *just* and *loving*; a tough act to balance (i had some idea of this when i taught at university; but i believe parents could relate to this in a more profound way). But love, mercy, kindness and grace win out over justice: the Bible speaks of God as "a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity." Whenever God seems unfair, it is actually for my benefit or someone else's, with the perfect example of Jesus taking on the punishment for *my* sins.

When i look back at all the wrong things i've done, i realized that God could have "spanked" me right there, or simply shown up when i said He didn't exist...Or, He could have stopped me from choosing to do wrong. But now i realize that all along He was the perfect gentleman :) He gave me the freedom to make my own decisions, even to the point that i had to face he consequences of my actions, but always just graciously waiting for me to turn to Him for help.

i will end with some Bible passages that i have seen to be true even in my relatively short, three-and-a-half-year walk with God:


"The LORD Almighty has sworn, 'Surely, as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will stand.' "

"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

"And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."


Thank you for taking the time to read this :) May God bless and be with us all! :)

For EVERYONE who calls on the name of the LORD will be SAVED. (Romans 10:13; Acts 2:21; Joel 2:32) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment