December 2, 2012

Wisdom is a balance


That's right.

As Paul told the Ephesians to "speak the truth in love," so must we think, live and act with God's balance of truth and grace, justice and mercy, power and love.

It's a balance. It's easy to think of God as this All-Powerful, Majestic Creator (only). And it's easy to think of God as just this All-Loving, Goody Best Friend (only). But a half-truth is a complete lie --- we might completely miss out on God if we only know (or choose to see) one aspect of His Being.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom." (Psalms and Proverbs)

Wisdom is knowing the Lord in the complete sense (well, as much as fallen limited humans can anyway). Wisdom is looking at the complete picture, first about God then about how He has made me. Finally, wisdom is about pursuing a life full of meaning and purpose.

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7) That last part always gets me. It's funny how I proclaimed 2007 as my year of power, then 2008 my year of love, then... then... nothing. Obviously I lack "sound mind", "discipline", "self-control" (the various translations of that verse); as well as having too much fear (the first part of that verse).

Thanks to God, things are finally changing. This year, without my declaring it (haha), turned out to be my no-fear year, and miracle of miracles, even a little sound mind.

Finally, some balance. I feel His Power strengthening me, His Love encouraging me, and the fears fading away.

As for self-control, I'm learning, bit by bit. (Case in point: I wrote this next paragraph after being distracted by one hour of Plants vs. Zombies.) We're not yet there, but getting closer.  :)


Thank You LORD for the balance, the wisdom, and the complete picture. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment