March 17, 2011

Born to do it: Writing

It's confirmed. This online quiz tells me what I was born to do.


You Should Be A Poet
"You craft words well, in creative and unexpected ways.
And you have a great talent for evoking beautiful imagery...
Or describing the most intense heartbreak ever.
You're already naturally a poet, even if you've never written a poem." 


But wait, there's more... I took the quiz again and got this:


You Should Be a Film Writer
"You don't just create compelling stories, you see them as clearly as a movie in your mind.
You have a knack for details and dialogue. You can really make a character come to life.
Chances are, you enjoy creating all types of stories. The joy is in the storytelling.
And nothing would please you more than millions of people seeing your story on the big screen!
 "


Interestingly, five years ago this same quiz told me I was a romantic writer.



"You see the world as it should be, and this goes double for all matters of the heart.
You can find the romance in any situation, and you would make a talented romance story writer...
And while you may be a traditional romantic, you're just as likely to be drawn to quirky or dark love stories.
As long as it deals with infatuation, heartbreak, and soulmates - you could write it."



Hmmm. Confusing? :) Not really. It seems each of these options are equally possible, equally exciting, and equally fulfilling for me. 

Which simply confirms that I was born to write, period.

I entered college fixed on getting a graduate degree in physics. Physics was my calling --- it still is --- so imagine my surprise when I felt God tell me, 

"Write for Me."

I had enough previous experience to confirm that it really was God speaking to me. But what happened next served as even stronger confirmation --- ideas started to appear, skills started to develop, my voice (my personal writing style) began to take shape. Eventually I even remembered that I used to write for the student paper in elementary and high school --- the talent and the desire were there all along, I just forgot.

And now, this blog is five and a half years old. :)


Dear Lord,
Thank You for revealing Your plans for us, and for me
Thank You for showing me that all gifts come from You alone
Thank You because You give us the desire and the ability to do Your will
Thank You because the greatest fulfillment is in following You

(And now, back to doing the work I love. :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment