- "Life is too short to spend it half-heartedly."
- "Of all the people in the world, Christians should be the ones with the greatest ability to grow. Our past is forgiven and our future is secure."
God reminds us many times, "Don't be afraid." Many times we need to know why. Here are just some:
1. Jesus says to His followers (John 16:33)
- "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
2. From Paul's first letter to the Corinthians (1 Corinthians 3:21-23)
- "Everything is already yours as a gift --- Paul, Apollos, Peter, the world, life, death, the present, the future --- all of it is yours, and you are privileged to be in union with Christ, who is in union with God."
3. From John Piper's letter to the people in Jerusalem
- We will not die apart from God’s gracious decree for his children. (James 4:14-15; Matthew 10:29-30; Deuteronomy 32:39)
- Curses and divination do not hold sway against God’s people. (Numbers 23:23)
- The plans of terrorists and hostile nations do not succeed apart from our gracious God. (Psalm 33:10; Isaiah 8:9-10)
- Man cannot harm us beyond God’s gracious will for us. (Psalm 118:6; Psalm 56:11)
- God promises to protect his own from all that is not finally good for them. (Psalm 91:14)
- God promises to give us all we need to obey, enjoy, and honor him forever. (Matthew 6:31; Philippians 4:19)
- God is never taken off guard. (Psalm 121:4)
- God will be with us, help us, and uphold us in trouble. (Isaiah 41:10, 13)
- Terrors will come, some of us will die, but not a hair of our heads will perish. (Luke 21:10–11, 18)
- Nothing befalls God’s own but in its appointed hour. (John 7:30)
- When God Almighty is your helper, none can harm you beyond what he decrees. (Hebrews 13:6; Romans 8:31)
- God’s faithfulness is based on the firm value of his name, not the fickle measure of our obedience. (1 Samuel 12:20–22)
- The Lord, our protector, is great and awesome. (Nehemiah 4:14)
What shall we say then? Paul writes to the Corinthians (1 Corinthians 15:58):
- "With all this going for us, my dear, dear friends, stand your ground. And don’t hold back. Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for him is a waste of time or effort."