June 12, 2007

...now why didn't i notice that before? :)

[Keeping the Faith quotes from IMDB;
Forrest Gump
quotes from IMDB and Generation Terrorists :) ]


i love it when God speaks...
i love it when God speaks in surprising, gee-why-didn't-i-see-that-before ways :)

the following quotes are from two of my favorite movies of all time :) and yet, after seeing them again after so many years, why, i'm so pleased as plum that they were even more delightful than i thought :) in fact, the quotes below --- noticed just this week --- should have been the reason that the movies grabbed my attention and made them my favorites!

yet another example of God being praised for a new reason every moment :) not just because these are cool lines from great films, but because they speak about God as God speaks through them :)

without further ado, enjoy :) get popcorn if you wish :)


From KEEPING THE FAITH:


Father Brian Kilkenney Finn
: The truth is, I don't really learn that much about your faith by asking questions like that... because those aren't really questions about faith, those are questions about religion. And it's very important to understand the difference between religion and faith. Because faith is not about having the right answers. Faith is a feeling. Faith is a hunch, really. It's a hunch that there is something bigger connecting it all... connecting us all together. And that feeling, that hunch, is God. And coming here tonight, on your Sunday evening... to connect with that feeling, that is an act of faith. And so all I have to do is look around the room at this packed church... to know that we're doing pretty well as a community. Even if all of you failed my pop quiz miserably.

************************************************************************

Father Brian Kilkenney Finn: I keep thinking about what you said in seminary, that the life of a priest is hard and if you can see yourself being happy doing anything else you should do that.
Father Havel: That was my recruitment pitch, which is not bad when you're starting out because it makes you feel like a marine. The truth is you can never tell yourself there is only one thing you could be. If you are a priest or if you marry a woman it's the same challenge. You cannot make a real commitment unless you accept that it's a choice that you keep making again and again and again.

************************************************************************

Father Brian Kilkenney Finn: I don't doubt myself because of you. I feel like the best version of myself when I'm with you, and that makes me doubt everything else.

************************************************************************
(Anna Reilly was wondering why she suddenly noticed a beautiful painting when she passes by it every day.)
Father Brian Kilkenney Finn: Sometimes we don't see certain things until we're ready to see them in a certain way.



************************************************************************
************************************************************************


From FORREST GUMP:


Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: Did you hear what I said? You cheated me. I had a destiny. I was supposed to die in the field! With honor! That was my destiny! And you cheated me out of it! You understand what I'm saying, Gump? This wasn't supposed to happen. Not to me. I had a destiny. I was Lieutenant Dan Taylor.
Forrest Gump:
Yo-You're still Lieutenant Dan.

************************************************************************

Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: Have you found Jesus yet, Gump?
Forrest Gump: I didn't know I was supposed to be looking for him, sir.
Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: That's what all these cripples down at the VA talk about: Jesus this and Jesus that. They even had a priest come and talk to me. He said God is listening and if I found Jesus, I'd get to walk beside him in the kingdom of Heaven. Did you hear what I said? WALK beside him in the kingdom of Heaven! Well kiss my crippled ass. God is listening? What a crock of shit.

************************************************************************
Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: Well, maybe you should just pray for shrimp.
Forrest Gump:
(voice-over) So I went to church every Sunday... Sometimes Lieutenant Dan came, too. Though I think he left the praying up to me.
Forrest Gump: [dejected] No shrimp.
Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: Where the Hell is this God of yours?
Forrest Gump: [narrating] It's funny Lieutenant Dan said that, 'cause right then, God showed up.
************************************************************************
Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: Forrest, I never thanked you for saving my life.
Forrest Gump:
(voice-over) He never actually said so, but I think he made his peace with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment