June 14, 2013

I cannot keep silent

But if I say, "I will not mention His word or speak anymore in His name,"
His word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones.
I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.
(Jeremiah 20:9)

http://sigmamindset.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/public-speaking.jpg


I cannot keep silent. God is too good of a news to keep to oneself. There's a saying that goes something like, "If you had the cure for cancer, wouldn't you tell everyone? Isn't Jesus the cure for something much deeper: eternal separation from God? Then why aren't we sharing about Him enough?"

Besides, it's actually a command. Jesus's last words to His followers were:

“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
(Matthew 28:18-20)

We don't have to be a pastor or take up a theology course or be a Christian for 20 years. We can just start with the little we know about Him, no matter how general or personal that may be. Besides, it is God who literally gives us what to say:

“When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say.”
Jesus (Luke 12:11-12)

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
Jesus (Acts 1:8)


So that's that. God wants every person in the world to have a relationship with Him. Those who already have that relationship cannot remain silent, for the sake of everyone else. Will we let our shyness or fear get in the way of someone's salvation? Of course, God is in control of everything, including salvation. But we can choose to work with Him, pointing people towards Him, instead of turning them away or keeping quiet. Take it from Jeremiah: it's much easier to speak up.

No comments:

Post a Comment